BOOKS BY HOWARD GARDNER
Mind, Work, and Life: A Festschrift on the Occasion of Howard Gardner’s 70th Birthday
Howard Gardner, noted psychologist and educator, turned 70 in 2013. To mark this occasion, 116 of Gardner’s colleagues and friends contributed both personal and scholarly essays to this two-volume set, creating a unique publication providing an overview of his life’s work. (read more…)
A *free* PDF version of the book is also available for download (PDF).
The App Generation: How Today’s Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
No one has failed to notice that the current generation of youth is deeply—some would say totally—involved with digital media. Professors Howard Gardner and Katie Davis name today’s young people The App Generation, and in this spellbinding book they explore what it means to be “app-dependent” versus “app-enabled” and how life for this generation differs from life before the digital era. (read more…)
The App Generation can be ordered by clicking here.
Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed: Educating for the Virtues in the Age of Truthiness and Twitter
Many of us take for granted that we know what is true, beautiful, and good. This book discusses the challenges faced by traditional education in light of two forces: the post modern critique from the humanities and the disruptive potentials of the new digital media. Gardner describes how the core ideas of truth, beauty, and goodness can survive and even be strengthened in education across the life span. (read more…)
Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed can be ordered by clicking here.
Responsibility at Work
Filled with original essays by Howard Gardner, William Damon, Mihaly Csikszenthmihalyi, and Jeanne Nakamura and based on the large-scale GoodWork® Project, Responsibility at Work reflects on the information gleaned from in-depth interviews with more than 1,200 people from nine different professions. (read more…)
Responsibility at Work can be ordered by clicking here.
Five Minds for the Future
This book outlines the specific cognitive abilities that will be sought and cultivated by leaders in the years ahead. (read more…)
Five Minds for the Future can be ordered by clicking here.
Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons
Gardner’s seminal account of the practical applications of Multiple Intelligences theory is now completely updated and expanded to reflect the latest developments in the field. (read more…)
Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons can be ordered by clicking here.
Development and Education of the Mind
In this book, Howard brings together over 20 of his key writings in one place, allowing readers to witness the developments in his thinking as well as the development of the larger field. (read more…)
Development and Education of the Mind can be ordered by clicking here.
Gardner offers insight into the phenomenon of changing minds: why is it so mysterious? How do people become set in a certain way of thinking? And what does it take to change a perspective? Gardner identifies seven levers that aid or thwart the process of mind change. (read more…)
Changing Minds can be ordered by clicking here.
GoodWork: Theory and Practice
To commemorate 15 years of the GoodWork Project, researchers with a lengthy connection to the Project assembled a collection of essays. Included are a brief history of the Project, reflections by the three principal investigators, expansions of the theory, critiques of the theory, and several articles that focus on ways in which the findings have been applied in education and related domains. (read more…)
GoodWork: Theory and Practice can be downloaded by clicking here.
OTHER BOOKS BY HOWARD GARDNER
- The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the K-12 Education that Every Child Deserves (read more…)
- Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century (read more…)
- Extraordinary Minds: Portraits of Four Exceptional Individuals and an Examination of Our Own Extraordinariness (read more…)
- Leading Minds: An Anatomy of Leadership (read more…)
- Multiple Intelligences: The Theory in Practice (read more…)
- Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity (read more…)
- The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach (read more…)
- Art Education and Human Development (read more…)
- To Open Minds (read more…)
- The Mind’s New Science: A History of the Cognitive Revolution (read more…)
- Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences (read more…)
- Art, Mind, & Brain: A Cognitive Approach to Creativity (read more…)
- Artful Scribbles: The Significance of Children’s Drawings (read more…)
- Developmental Psychology: An Introduction (read more…)
- The Shattered Mind: Person After Brain Damage (read more…)
- The Arts and Human Development (read more…)
- The Quest for Mind: Piaget, Levi-Strauss, and the Structuralist Movement (read more…)
- Good Work: When Excellence and Ethics Meet (read more…)
- Making Good: How Young People Cope with Moral Dilemmas at Work (read more…)
- Practical Intelligence for School (read more…)
- Intelligence: Multiple Perspectives (read more…)
- Man and Men: Social Psychology as Social Science (read more…)
BOOKS ABOUT HOWARD GARDNER
- Howard Gardner Under Fire: The Rebel Psychologist Faces his Critics by Jeffrey Schaler (read more…)